The Qualifications Needed To Get Onto A Construction Site

In the construction industry, workers are constantly surrounded by potential dangers, from hazardous materials and heavy machinery, to open electrics and heights. Anyone that wants to work in construction will need a number of qualifications before they can even step foot on site. To help you prepare, we have listed the most common qualifications, certifications and cards, and what roles they apply to.

Construction site courses

CSCS Card certification

Almost every role on a construction site requires some form of CSCS Card. This qualification shows you have knowledge of health and safety expectations on site and is needed as proof to show employers you can carry out your role safely. There are multiple CSCS cards depending on your role, including the CSCS Green Labourer Card. To acquire this card, you must first take a course such as our Safe2Site Online CSCS test and then sit a CITB Health, safety & Environment assessment.


As a supervisor, foreman, or team leader, you will have some responsibility in teaching those who work under you, the construction site best practices for safe working. To prove you have the knowledge to do this, as well as the experience that is expected of a supervisor, you will need to acquire a SSSTS qualification.


Before you climb the ranks to site manager, project manager or site supervisor, you will need a SMSTS certification to show you have a wider grasp of the health and safety regulations on a construction site. This qualification teaches you the basic practices, alongside CDM regulations and how to carry out a risk assessment.

Alongside this, it is wise for those in senior positions to attend a first aid at work course so you can tend to any employee or visitor if an accident occurs.

Asbestos awareness

The construction industry often places workers in environments where asbestos is present, such as any building that was built before 2000. To avoid overexposure to the harmful material, workers including electricians, plumbers and architects will need to know how to remove it properly.


Those working with machinery such as a forklift or tower crane will need to take an additional CPCS course to show the site manager they understand how to operate them without harming themselves on others on site. For this qualification, workers have two options, either a non-renewable blue card that lasts for two years and shows that you are a competent operator, or the renewable five-year red card that proves you are a trained operator.

Do you need training to get your CSCS card? Our online Safe2Site course provides you with all the information needed without the hassle of having to take time off to travel or study. Book your course here.